Santa Anita’s 18-day Autumn Meet will open on Friday, Sept. 30 and run through Sunday, Nov. 6. The opening weekend is highlighted by a pair of Breeders' Cup Challenge Series races on Oct. 1 and 2.
The opening weekend at 'The Great Race Place" will feature a total of 10 stakes. That includes the $300,000 Awesome Again Stakes (G1), which will award the winner a fees-paid berth in the $6 million Breeders' Cup Classic Nov. 5 at Keeneland in Lexington, KY.
In total, the Autumn Meet will have 26 stakes with 15 of them graded.
Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In" Races at Santa Anita
With the Breeders’ Cup in mind, the Autumn Meet will get off to a fast start, with 11 stakes, seven of them graded, being offered opening weekend, Oct. 1 & 2. That includes two "Win and You're In" Breeders' Cup Challenge Series races. The second weekend, Oct. 8 & 9, will offer six stakes, five of them graded including three "Win and You're In" Breeders' Cup Challenge Series races.
- Oct. 1: $300,000 Awesome Again Stakes (G1) at 1 1/8 miles - Winner to the $6 million Breeders' Cup Classic
- Oct. 2: $100,000 Speakeasy Stakes at 5 furlongs - Winner to the $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint
- Oct. 8: $300,000 American Pharoah Stakes (G1) at 1 1/16 miles - Winner to Breeders' Cup TVG Juvenile
- Oct. 8: $300,000 Rodeo Drive Stakes (G1) at 1 1/4 miles - Winner to $2 million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf
- Oct. 8: $200,000 Chandelier Stakes (G2) at 1 1/16 miles - Winner to Breeders' Cup NetJets Juvenile Fillies