Who’s ready for a new weekly column?
Between now and Selection Sunday, each Friday I’ll give a “BRACKET BREAKDOWN” with my 68 projected teams for the 2023 NCAA Tournament along with my Top 16 seeds as well as emerging trends.
The team who is currently in first place in their respective conference will be listed as that league’s “automatic qualifier”.
The Current Field
Atlantic Sun (1)
America East (1)
UMass Lowell (AQ)
American Athletic Conference (2)
Houston (AQ), Memphis
Atlantic 10 (1)
Pitt (AQ), Miami, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, NC State
Big 12 (8)
Kansas (AQ), Kansas State, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia
Big East (5)
Providence (AQ), Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, UConn
Big Sky (1)
Eastern Washington (AQ)
Big South (1)
Big Ten (8)
Wisconsin (AQ), Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Penn State, Rutgers
Big West (1)
UC Santa Barbara (AQ)
Florida Atlantic (AQ)
Horizon League (1)
Northern Kentucky (AQ)
Ivy League (1)
Kent State (AQ)
Norfolk State (AQ)
Missouri Valley (1)
Indiana State (AQ)
Mountain West (3)
Nevada (AQ), New Mexico, San Diego State
Fairleigh Dickinson (AQ)
UT Martin (AQ)
UCLA (AQ), Arizona, Utah
Patriot League (1)
Alabama (AQ), Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi State, Arkansas
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (AQ)
Alabama A&M (AQ)
Oral Roberts (AQ)
Sun Belt (1)
Georgia Southern (AQ)
Gonzaga (AQ), Saint Mary’s
Utah Valley (AQ)
First Four Out
Arizona State, Northwestern, LSU, Maryland
Top 16 Seeds
1: Kansas, Purdue, UConn, Arizona
2: Houston, UCLA, Alabama, Tennessee
3: Gonzaga, Arkansas, Virginia, TCU
4: Xavier, Wisconsin, Miami, Kansas State
Five Things To Know
- Kansas is another team that’s playing for a geographic advantage in its quest to be No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. The 2023 Midwest Regional will be played at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City on March 24th and 26th.
- Pitt and Miami currently have more Quad 1 victories — four — than any other teams in the ACC.
- The WCC has two teams — Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s — that are currently ranked in the Top 15 of the NET.
- Charleston (15-1) is 6-0 in games this season that have been decided by five points or fewer.
- All 10 of Texas Tech’s wins have been Quad 4 victories. The Red Raiders currently do not own a Quad 1 or 2 win.
Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and a contributor to the CBS Broadcast Network since 2016. He joined FanDuel in 2022 as a Content Creator. Rothstein is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks.