The 2021-22 NBA season opens on Tuesday, Oct. 19 and FanDuel Sportsbook is already taking a look ahead at the possible team and individual award winners.
One of the awards that will be up for grabs is the coveted NBA Most Valuable Player trophy. As of opening night, Dallas Mavericks's guard Luka Doncic is FanDuel Sportsbook's current NBA MVP favorite at +500 odds.
The 22-year-old Slovenian phenom was extremely impressive last year, finishing with 27.7 points, 8.0 rebounds and 8.6 assists per game on .479/.350/.730 shooting splits. The chances are that Doncic hasn't even reached his prime yet. If he can get to that level and bring the Mavericks into the playoffs, there's no reason why he can't be the league MVP.
Kevin Durant — who was named 2014 NBA MVP — has the second-best odds at +650, according to FanDuel Sportsbook. The Brooklyn Nets star could see a bigger workload this season with Kyrie Irving being forced to sit out as long as he doesn't have a COVID-19 vaccination.
Meanwhile, Milwaukee Bucks power forward Giannis Antetokounmpo (+700) can enter history if he's named NBA MVP. If he's victorious, it will be his third time winning the award — something only eight other players have done.
Here's a look at the rest of the 2021-22 NBA MVP odds ahead of opening night.
Opening Night 2021-22 NBA MVP Odds
1. Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks (+500)
2. Kevin Durant, Brooklyn Nets (+650)
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo (+700)
4. Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers (+800)
5. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors (+800)
6. Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers (+1200)
7. LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers (+1600)
8. Nikola Jokic, Dallas Mavericks (+1600)
9. James Harden, Brooklyn Nets (+1800)
10. Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks (+2100)
11. Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics (+2400)
12. Anthony Davis, Los Angeles Lakers (+2800)
13. Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns (+2800)
14. Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz (+3000)
15. Paul George, Los Angeles Clippers (+3600)
16. Russell Westbrook, Los Angeles Lakers (+3600)
17. Zion Williamson, New Orleans Pelicans (+4200)
18. Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards (+5500)
19. Ja Morant, Memphis Grizzlies (+5500)
20. Domantas Sabonis, Indiana Pacers (+6000)
21. Julius Randle, New York Knicks (+6500)
22. Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota Timberwolves (+6500)
23. Jimmy Butler, Miami Heat (+6500)
24. Kyrie Irving, Brooklyn Nets (+6500)
25. Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls (+7000)
Sign up for FanDuel Sportsbook today and get your first bet risk free for up to $1,000!
Devon Platana is not a FanDuel employee. The views expressed in his articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.