Switzerland vs Slovenia Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for 2023 IIHF World Championship Game (Swiss Fill the Net)
The 2023 IIHF World Championship continues on Saturday, May 13, featuring a Group B matchup between Switzerland and Slovenia.
Switzerland vs Slovenia Game Info
- Date: Saturday, May 13, 2023
- Time: 5:20 a.m. ET
- Venue: Arena Riga -- Riga, Latvia
Switzerland is set to begin its quest to win its first medal since earning silver at the 2018 IIHF World Championship. It must first deal with Slovenia, though — a country that hasn't taken part in the tournament since 2017.
Switzerland vs Slovenia Odds & Spread
- All IIHF World Championship betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: SUI: (-1000) | SLO: (+610)
- Spread: SUI: -2.5 (-128) | SLO: +2.5 (+104)
- Total: 5.5 -- Over: (+100) | Under: (-122)
Switzerland enters this contest as the favorite on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This group stage clash also features an over/under of 5.5 goals with the Under being favored at -122 odds.
Switzerland vs Slovenia Betting Trends
- Switzerland is 0-0-0 in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Slovenia is 0-0-0 in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Switzerland was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the 2022 IIHF World Championship.
- Slovenia did not qualify for the 2022 IIHF World Championship.
- Switzerland is 3-0 straight up in its last three head-to-head matchups against Slovenia.
Switzerland vs Slovenia Prediction & Pick
With the odds being as lopsided as they are, it's hard to see Slovenia pulling off an upset. The country isn't exactly known for producing top-tier hockey players outside of Anze Kopitar and with his not playing this year, it's tough to like the Slovenians' chances against any opponent.
Switzerland might not be a juggernaut, but it has some solid upside with NHLers like Nino Niederreiter and Denis Malgin, who combined for 37 goals last season. On top of that, the Swiss have never lost to the Slovenians in three previous matchups, outscoring the latter 12-6 on aggregate.
Unless Switzerland completely collapses, beating Slovenia isn't that hard of a task.
Final Score Prediction: Switzerland: 5 | Slovenia: 1
Switzerland vs Slovenia Best Bet
When it comes to picking the best bet, backing the over on the 5.5-goal total is the way to go. Although neither side is the most offensively gifted country in the tournament, the three previous Switzerland-Slovenia matchups saw an average of 6.3 goals, going over 5.5 in each of the last two meetings.
With the possibility of this game being a complete blowout in Switzerland's favor, I like the chances of seeing some fireworks at Arena Riga.
Bet: Over 5.5 Total Goals (+100)
Devon Platana is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Devon Platana also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username PepeSilvia0. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.