When the 2020-21 NBA season started, there was no clear MVP favorite. And as the season rolls on, there's maybe less clarity than ever.
Not in the mix in the odds early in the season, Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid has made a huge move up the rankings, and he now has the second best NBA MVP odds (+600) on the NBA futures board at FanDuel Sportsbook.
Embiid opened the season with MVP odds of +3000. He was not even in the top 10 as a MVP contender. The No. 3 overall pick of the Sixers in 2014 has led the team to the top of the Atlantic Division with a 12-5 record including league-best 9-1 at home. The big body 7-footer is averaging 27.7 points and 11.5 rebounds per game. That includes a league-high 37.7 points per game over the last seven days while shooting 61.1% from the field and making 81.1% field goals.
Following a pair of wins over division rival Boston Celtics last week when Embiid poured in 38 and 42 points, his odds rose sharply as a serious MVP candidate. The Sixers center followed those games with a 33 point and 14 rebound performance over Detroit for Philly's third straight win.
Here are your current MVP favorites as the final week of basketball action continues in January.
Latest NBA MVP Odds
1. Luka Doncic, F, Dallas Mavericks (+500)
2. Joel Embiid, C, Philadelphia 76ers (+600)
3. Kevin Durant, F, Brooklyn Nets (+650)
4. Nikola Jokic, C, Denver Nuggets (+650)
5. Giannis Antetokounmp, F, Milwaukee Bucks (+800)
6. LeBron James, F, Los Angeles Lakers (+800)
7. Stephen Curry, PG, Golden State Warriors (+1000)
8. Anthony Davis, F, Los Angeles Lakers (=1600)
9. Damian Lillard, PG, Portland Trail Blazers (+2100)
10. James Harden, G, Brooklyn Nets (+3000)
Sign up for FanDuel Sportsbook today and get your first bet risk free for up to $1,000!