Stanford vs California Game Info
- 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Regular Season Game
- Stanford (5-9, 0-4 Pac-12) vs. California (2-13, 1-3 Pac-12)
- Date: Friday, January 6, 2023
- Time: 9:00 PM ET
- Venue: Haas Pavilion -- Berkeley, California
The 2022-23 college basketball season continues on Friday with an exciting matchup between the Stanford Cardinal and California Golden Bears. Stanford is coming off a disappointing 71-66 loss to Utah on Saturday. Spencer Jones led the offense with 16 points (6-of-15 shooting) and 4 rebounds.
Meanwhile, California earned its first Pac-12 win of the season with an 80-76 victory over Colorado on Saturday. All five starters scored in double-digits and the Golden Bears shot 58.0% from the floor as a team. Freshman Grant Newell shined with an efficient double-double (13 points & 12 rebounds).
Stanford vs California Odds & Spread
- All college basketball betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: STAN: (450) | CAL: (+350)
- Spread: STAN: -9.5 (-104) | CAL: +9.5 (-118)
- Total: 123.5 -- Over: (-110) | Under: (-110)
Stanford enters this contest as clear road favorites on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This 9 p.m. ET clash also features an over/under of 123.5 points, which is below average compared to Friday's projected totals.
Stanford vs California Betting Trends
- Stanford has covered the spread six times in 14 games.
- The Cardinal have two wins ATS (2-1) as a 7.5-point favorite or greater this season.
- Out of 14 Stanford's games so far this season, seven have hit the over.
- Against the spread, Cal is 6-8-0 this season.
- Against the spread as 7.5-point underdogs or more, the Golden Bears are 5-3.
- Out of Cal's 14 games so far this year, seven have hit the over.
|Stanford Rank||Stanford AVG||Cal AVG||Cal Rank|
Stanford vs California Prediction & Pick
California showed a glimpse of what this team is capable of achieving when firing on all cylinders on Saturday. They drained over half of their shots from beyond the arc and saw balanced scoring efforts from the starting five. The Golden Bears run into a Stanford team in desperate need of a win, though.
The Cardinal have started 0-4 in Pac-12 play and should come out hungry for a victory on Friday night. Stanford will have to keep its dominance on defense going as it allows only 64.3 points per away game. It also gives up an opponent shooting mark of just 42.9% when on the road this season.
California is a dismal 3-15 straight up in its last 18 home games, so I'll side with Stanford here.
Final Score Prediction: Stanford: 65 | California: 60
Stanford vs California Best Bet
I expect Stanford to win this game outright, but I do not expect it to blow out California. The Cardinal are just 1-6 against the spread (ATS) in their last seven games at Haas Pavilion. The Cardinal have also defeated the Golden Bears by at least 10 points in just two of the last 10 head-to-head contests.
California enters this one on a high after starting 2023 off with a impactful win. Look for head coach Mark Fox to lean on his star player Devin Askew to keep the score close on Friday night. Askew ranks fifth in the Pac-12 averaging 16.1 points per game and is shooting 54.7% from the floor this season.
Bet: California Golden Bears +9.5 (-118)
Larry Rupp is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Larry Rupp also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username phillyfan424. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.