Slovakia vs Latvia Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for 2023 IIHF World Championship Game (Latvia Earns Upset Victory)
By Larry Rupp
The 2023 IIHF World Championship continues on Saturday, May 13, with a Group B matchup between Slovakia and Latvia.
Slovakia vs Latvia Game Info
- Date: Saturday, May 13, 2023
- Time: 1:20 p.m. ET
- Venue: Arena Riga -- Riga, Latvia
This is a matchup that includes two teams facing off for the third time in the last six months. Slovakia is looking to improve after reaching the quarterfinals at the 2022 IIHF World Championship, while Latvia is aiming to make an impression after failing to advance past the group stage last year.
Slovakia vs Latvia Odds & Spread
- All IIHF World Championship betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: SLO: (-150) | LAT: (+122)
- Spread: SLO: -0.5 (+110) | LAT: +0.5 (-134)
- Total: 5 -- Over: (-122) | Under: (+100)
Slovakia enters this contest as the favorite on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This group stage clash also features an over/under of 5 goals with the over favored at -122 odds.
Slovakia vs Latvia Betting Trends
- Slovakia is 0-0-0 in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Latvia is 0-0-0 in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Slovakia lost in the quarterfinals round of the 2022 IIHF World Championship.
- Latvia failed to make it out of the group stage at the 2022 IIHF World Championship.
- Slovakia is 4-0 straight up in its last four head-to-head matchups against Latvia.
Slovakia vs Latvia Prediction & Pick
As mentioned above, these are two teams that are quite familiar with one another. Slovakia has taken down Latvia in each of the four matchups these teams have had over the last two years and three of those four wins came by a margin of at least 3 goals. It's understandable why Latvia is an underdog.
Keep in mind Latvia is playing in its home country, though, and enters as a victor in three of its last four international contests. Slovakia had lost five straight international contests before beating Austria 4-3 a week ago. If there was ever a time to flip the switch, it is right now for this Latvia team.
Give me an upset in Group B play as Latvia rides the momentum of being at home to a big victory.
Final Score Prediction: Slovakia: 3 | Latvia: 4
Slovakia vs Latvia Best Bet
These are two teams that know how to score the puck. More than 5 goals have been scored in five of Slovakia's last six games as well as in seven of Latvia's last nine games. An average of 5.8 goals have been scored in the four head-to-head matchups between these squads as well. Trust the trends here.
Bet: Over 5 Total Goals (-122)
Larry Rupp is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Larry Rupp also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username phillyfan424. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.