Norway vs Kazakhstan Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for 2023 IIHF World Championship Game (Offense Takes Backseat)
The 2023 IIHF World Championship continues on Saturday, May 13, featuring a Group B matchup between Norway and Kazakhstan.
Norway vs Kazakhstan Game Info
- Date: Saturday, May 13, 2023
- Time: 9:20 a.m. ET
- Venue: Arena Riga -- Riga, Latvia
Both of these countries had similar success — or lack thereof — at the 2022 tournament. Norway lost five of its seven group stage games, finishing second-worst in Group B with five points. Meanwhile, Kazakhstan lost six of its outings while its three points saw them finish as Group A's second-worst squad.
Norway vs Kazakhstan Odds & Spread
- All IIHF World Championship betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: NOR: (-170) | KAZ: (+138)
- Spread: NOR: -1.5 (+176) | KAZ: +1.5 (-230)
- Total: 5 -- Over: (-104) | Under: (-118)
Norway enters this contest as the favorite on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This group stage clash also features an over/under of 5 goals with the Under being favored at -118 odds.
Norway vs Kazakhstan Betting Trends
- Norway is 0-0-0 in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Kazakhstan is 0-0-0 in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Norway was eliminated in the group stage of the 2022 IIHF World Championship.
- Kazakhstan was eliminated in the group stage of the 2022 IIHF World Championship.
- Norway is 3-1 straight up in its last four head-to-head matchups against Kazakhstan.
Norway vs Kazakhstan Prediction & Pick
History shows that Norway usually gets the better of Kazakhstan whenever they collide on the ice. Norway has won three of the four all-time head-to-head matchups between the countries, most recently defeating Kazakhstan 3-1 at the 2021 IIHF World Championship.
While a lot of time has passed since then, I'm expecting a similar result. Kazakhstan just doesn't perform well on the international stage, placing better than 14th at the World Championship just once since 2006. Norway hasn't had much recent success either, but it has placed better than 14th in each of its last 14 appearances.
In a game that could potentially go either way, I'm taking Norway.
Final Score Prediction: Norway: 3 | Kazakhstan: 2
Norway vs Kazakhstan Best Bet
I wouldn't count on Kazakhstan putting up many goals in this meeting. Not only do the Kazakhs not have that much skill, but they only averaged 1.8 goals in four previous matchups against the Norwegians, being held to two or fewer in three contests.
After averaging just 2.7 goals in the previous World Championship, take the under on Kazakhstan's projected goal total.
Bet: Kazakhstan Total Goals — Under 2.5 (-190)
Devon Platana is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Devon Platana also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username PepeSilvia0. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.