Hornets vs. Hawks Game Info
- Date: Friday, December 16, 2022
- Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Venue: Spectrum Center -- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Coverage: BSSE and BSSEX
The 2022-23 NBA season continues on Friday with 10 more games, including a battle between the Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets. The Hawks rank ninth in the Eastern Conference with a 14-15 record, while the Hornets check in last with a 7-21 record. One team will improve with a win tonight.
The Hawks enter this one in a slump after losing five of their last six games, including three losses by double digits. Meanwhile, the Hornets saw their losing streak grow to six games when they fell to the Detroit Pistons, 141-134 (OT), on Wednesday. Which team will bounce back with a much-needed win here?
Hornets vs. Hawks Odds & Spread
- All NBA betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: ATL: (+132) | CHA: (-156)
- Spread: ATL: +3 (-110) | CHA: -3 (-110)
- Total: 240.5 -- Over: (-110) | Under: (-110)
The Hornets enter this contest as small home favorites on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This 7 p.m. ET clash also features an over/under of 240.5 points, which is above average compared to the rest of Friday's projected totals.
Hornets vs. Hawks Betting Trends
- The Hawks have compiled a 10-16-0 record against the spread this season.
- The Hornets have been underdogs by 1 point or more 20 times this year and are 9-10-1 ATS in those matchups.
- Hawks games have finished with a final combined score above the over/under 16 times this season.
- Hornets games this year have gone over the total in 14 of 26 opportunities (53.8%).
- Atlanta has covered the spread in the same percentage of home games as away games (38.5%). It has covered five times in 13 games when playing at home and five times in 13 games when playing on the road.
- Charlotte's winning percentage against the spread at home is .308 (4-9-0). On the road, it is .538 (7-5-1).
Hornets vs. Hawks Prediction & Pick
The Hawks can't seem to find their footing with key role players like John Collins and Clint Capela sidelined with injuries. Atlanta has allowed an average of 128.3 points over its last three games and is getting no help from Trae Young, who is a dismal 10-of-54 from three-point range since Nov. 27.
The good news for Atlanta is that the only team that has allowed more points over its last three games is Charlotte (131.0 average). The Hornets rank 25th in defensive efficiency and give up an opponent shooting percentage of 47.8% (No. 24 in NBA). Their defense is incapable of getting a stop.
The Hawks need this win to get back to the .500 mark and should earn it against a Charlotte team that has lost four straight home games.
Final Score Prediction: Hornets: 114 | Hawks: 118
Hornets vs. Hawks Best Bet
Yes, these are two subpar defenses that have looked especially horrible over the last three games. A total set above 240 seems a bit too high, though. After all, the total has hit the under in six of the last seven head-to-head matchups between Atlanta and Charlotte played at the Spectrum Center.
The under has also cashed in 11 of the Hawks' last 14 games against a Southeast Division opponent. The Hornets are still only averaging 110.3 points per game on the year (No. 25 in NBA) and the Hawks are still only shooting 46.3% from the floor this season (No. 20 in NBA). Expectations for the total are too high.
Bet: Under 240.5 Points (-110)
Larry Rupp is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Larry Rupp also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username phillyfan424. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.