Germany vs Hungary Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for 2023 IIHF World Championship Game (German Defense Shines)
The 2023 IIHF World Championship continues on Sunday, May 21, featuring a Group 1 matchup between Germany and Hungary.
Germany vs Hungary Game Info
- Date: Sunday, May 21, 2023
- Time: 9:20 a.m. ET
- Venue: Nokia Arena -- Tampere, Finland
Germany continues to fight for a knockout stage spot following Friday's 4-2 victory over Austria. Meanwhile, Hungary searches for a bounce-back performance after getting blown out 7-1 by Finland in its latest outing.
Germany vs Hungary Odds & Spread
- All IIHF World Championship betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: GER: (-3500) | HUN: (+1200)
- Spread: GER: -3.5 (-112) | HUN: +3.5 (-108)
- Total: 6 -- Over: (-108) | Under: (-112)
Germany enters this contest as the favorite on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This 9:20 a.m. ET clash also features an over/under of 6 goals with the Under being favored at -112 odds.
Germany vs Hungary Betting Trends
- Germany is 2-0-0-3 (W-OTW-OTL-L) in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Hungary is 0-1-0-4 (W-OTW-OTL-L) in the 2023 IIHF World Championship group stage.
- Germany defeated Austria, 4-2, in its last game on May 19, 2023.
- Hungary lost to Finland, 7-1, in its last game on May 19, 2023.
- Germany is 3-0 straight up in its last three head-to-head matchups against Hungary.
Germany vs Hungary Prediction & Pick
Even though anything could, theoretically, happen in the world of sports, I have a hard time believing that Hungary can pull off the upset. The Hungarian squad was destroyed by Finland and Sweden in its latest outings, losing both games 7-1. Hungary's 26 goals allowed are the worst in the tournament, as is its minus-3.8 average goal differential.
Germany's far from perfect, but it at least has two regulation wins thus far. On top of that, the Germans are deeper than the Hungarians and actually have more talent, including Mo Seider, who's one of the best defensemen in the NHL today.
With the chance to eliminate Hungary with a victory, look for Germany to keep its own tournament hopes alive.
Final Score Prediction: Germany: 4 | Hungary: 1
Germany vs Hungary Best Bet
When it comes to the best bet, the Under on the 6-goal total is the way to go. Yes, Hungary was absolutely drubbed in its last two games, but both Sweden and Finland have more offensive upside than Germany. With the two sides only averaging 4.4 combined goals this tournament, it's best to temper expectations.
Bet: Under 6 Total Goals (-112)
Devon Platana is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Devon Platana also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username PepeSilvia0. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.