Blue Jays vs Cardinals Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for Opening Day (Jays Edge Cards in Season Opener)
By Tyler Maher
Opening Day is here and we've got a full slate of games today with all 30 teams in action. That includes an intriguing interleague showdown between two possible playoff contenders in the Toronto Blue Jays and St. Louis Cardinals.
Blue Jays vs. Cardinals Game Info
- Date: Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Time: 4:10 p.m. ET
- Venue: Busch Stadium -- St. Louis, MO
- Coverage: Bally Sports & MLB.TV
The Blue Jays won 92 games last year while the Cardinals won 93, so this promises to be a good game. Which team will come out on top and start the season with a win?
Blue Jays vs. Cardinals Odds & Spread
- All MLB betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: TOR: (-110) | STL: (-106)
- Spread: TOR: -1.5 (+155) | STL: +1.5 (-188)
- Total: 7.5 -- Over: (-115) | Under: (-105)
FanDuel Sportsbook has this game as a virtual toss-up based on the odds with Toronto slightly favored on the spread and moneyline. This interleague clash also has a projected total of 7.5 runs, which is about average for Thursday.
Blue Jays vs. Cardinals Betting Trends
- The Blue Jays are 19-7 in their last 26 road games.
- The Cardinals are 40-19 in their last 59 home games.
- The over is 21-9 in St. Louis' last 30 games vs. an AL East opponent.
- The over is 10-1 in their last 11 meetings in St. Louis.
Blue Jays vs. Cardinals Prediction & Pick
Based on the rosters and last year's records, this looks like one of the more evenly matched games on Opening Day. Both teams have deep, powerful lineups and strong starting pitchers on the mound today.
Toronto has the edge in the pitching matchup, however, with Alek Manoah on the bump. Manoah was an All-Star last year in just his second MLB season and finished third in the AL Cy Young race after going 16-7 with a 2.24 ERA.
With Adam Wainwright injured, Miles Mikolas will get the call for St. Louis. Mikolas was also an All-Star last year but finished 12-13 with a 3.29 ERA. He's also nearly a decade older than Manoah at age 34.
This game should be close, but I think Manoah outduels Mikolas and the Blue Jays' bats do just enough to win.
Final Score Prediction: Blue Jays: 4 | Cardinals: 3
Blue Jays vs. Cardinals Best Bet
While both teams are excellent, Manoah gives the Blue Jays a better chance to win. Toronto was also an outstanding road team last year, going 45-36 in American ballparks. Expect that trend to continue on Opening Day as Manoah proves why he's one of the best pitchers in the sport.
Bet: Toronto Blue Jays ML (-110)
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.