ROTHSTEIN 45: WEEK 14
This week’s Rothstein 45 is now live!
Check out our rankings below:
1. Purdue: Still has the best resume in college basketball.
2. Arizona: Azuolas Tubelis is playing like a first-team All-American.
3. Alabama: Nate Oats is now one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball following his recent extension.
4. Houston: Was flawless in the second half of Sunday’s win at Temple.
5. Tennessee: Julian Phillips hasn’t reached double figures in the last four games.
6. Texas: Rodney Terry is a National Coach of the Year candidate.
7. UCLA: Got 19 points off the bench in Saturday’s win at Washington State.
8. Kansas: Looked soft against Iowa State.
9. Kansas State: Two of its next three games are on the road.
10. Iowa State: A different team at Hilton Coliseum.
11. Virginia: Still the team to beat in the ACC.
12. Marquette: Has won 13 of its last 15 games.
13. Xavier: 2-0 without Zach Freemantle.
14. Baylor: Built for the NCAA Tournament.
15. Gonzaga: Two games behind Saint Mary’s in the WCC standings.
16. Miami: Five of its final seven games are at home.
17. Providence: Noah Locke is a wildcard to watch moving forward.
18. Saint Mary’s: Is Aidan Mahaney really just a freshman?
19. TCU: Still needs to get healthy.
20. UConn: Tristen Newton is turning a corner.
21. NC State: D.J. Burns is averaging 23.3 points and seven rebounds in his last three games.
22. Duke: 10-2 when Jeremy Roach scores in double figures.
23. Rutgers: Made Madison Square Garden look like its home floor on Saturday against Michigan State.
24. Creighton: Only allowing 66.1 points with Ryan Kalkbrenner in the lineup.
25. Indiana: Could be the Big Ten’s second-best threat to make a run in the NCAA Tournament after Purdue.
26. Pitt: Shooting its highest three-point percentage (35.1) under Jeff Capel.
27. Clemson: Has to finish strong.
28. North Carolina: Pete Nance was just 1-10 from the field against Duke.
29. New Mexico: The Mountain West team that is best built to advance in the NCAA Tournament.
30. Iowa: Averaging 86.7 points in its last three games.
31. San Diego State: Nathan Mensah destroyed Boise State on Friday night.
32. Northwestern: 20 wins should be enough to reach the NCAA Tournament.
33. Illinois: Matthew Mayer is averaging 18.8 points in his last four games.
34. Florida Atlantic: Can still earn an at-large bid.
35. Charleston: Will be sweating on Selection Sunday unless it at least makes the finals of the CAA Tournament.
36. Auburn: The offense can at times be offensive.
37. Michigan State: Was just 4-21 from three-point range in Saturday’s loss to Rutgers.
38. Maryland: Kevin Willard has this program ahead of schedule.
39. USC: Will be a dangerous team in March.
40. Arkansas: Jalen Graham is developing into a reliable reserve.
41. Missouri: Scored a season-low 52 points on Saturday against Mississippi State.
42. Kentucky: Has quietly won six of its last seven.
43. West Virginia: Trending towards the NCAA Tournament.
44. Oklahoma State: Kalib Boone is playing like an all-conference player.
45. Nevada: Better than last year despite losing both Grant Sherfield and Desmond Cambridge to the transfer portal.
Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and a contributor to the CBS Broadcast Network since 2016. He joined FanDuel in 2022 as a Content Creator. Rothstein is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks.