San Diego State Aztecs Bowl Game History (Wins, Appearances and All-Time Record)
Bowl game season is an exciting time in college football. Schools across the nation will battle it out for postseason glory and a chance to end their year on a high note.
One team that's no stranger to playing in bowl games is the San Diego State Aztecs. Here's everything you need to know about SDSU's bowl history before making its next appearance.
San Diego State Bowl Game History
College football fans have gotten familiar with San Diego State given its nine bowl game appearances in the last decade. The Aztecs have played in a total of 20 bowl games all-time.
San Diego State's first bowl appearance came in the 1948 Harbor Bowl under head coach Bill Schutte. The Aztecs were blown out by Hardin-Simmons by a score of 53-0 and did not earn their first bowl game victory until four years later. That came as a 34-13 win in the Pineapple Bowl.
The Aztecs' most recent bowl appearance was in the 2022 Hawai'i Bowl against Middle Tennessee. SDSU was upset in that one, losing 25-23 despite being favored ahead of kickoff.
San Diego State Bowl Game Wins and Appearances
San Diego State owns a 10-10 all-time record in bowl games. Check out the school's full bowl results below.
- Harbor Bowl (Jan. 1, 1948): Hardin-Simmons 53, San Diego State 0
- Pineapple Bowl (Jan. 1, 1952): San Diego State 34, Hawaii 13
- Camellia Bowl (Dec. 10, 1966): San Diego State 28, Montana State 7
- Camellia Bowl (Dec. 9, 1967): San Diego State 27, San Francisco State 6
- Pasadena Bowl (Dec. 6, 1969): San Diego State 28, Boston University 7
- Holiday Bowl (Dec. 30, 1986): Iowa 39, San Diego State 38
- Freedom Bowl (Dec. 30, 1991): Tulsa 28, San Diego State 17
- Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 19, 1998): North Carolina 20, San Diego State 13
- Poinsettia Bowl (Dec. 23, 2010): San Diego State 35, Navy 14
- New Orleans Bowl (Dec. 17, 2011): Louisiana-Lafayette, 32, San Diego State 30
- Poinsettia Bowl (Dec. 20, 2012): BYU 23, San Diego State 6
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Dec. 21, 2013): San Diego State 49, Buffalo 24
- Poinsettia Bowl (Dec. 23, 2014): Navy 17, San Diego State 16
- Hawai'i Bowl (Dec. 24, 2015): San Diego State 42, Cincinnati 7
- Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 17, 2016): San Diego State 34, Houston 10
- Armed Forces Bowl (Dec. 23, 2017): Army 42, San Diego State 35
- Frisco Bowl (Dec. 19, 2018): Ohio 27, San Diego State 0
- New Mexico Bowl (Dec. 21, 2019): San Diego State 48, Central Michigan 11
- Frisco Bowl (Dec. 21, 2021): San Diego State 38, UTSA 24
- Hawai'i Bowl (Dec. 24, 2022): San Diego State 23, Middle Tennessee 25
Larry Rupp is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Larry Rupp also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username phillyfan424. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.