ROTHSTEIN 45: Week 5
This week’s Rothstein 45 is now live!
Check out our rankings below:
1. Houston: 16-0 over the last three seasons when Tramon Mark scores in double figures.
2. Purdue: Zach Edey is the early favorite for National Player of the Year.
3. Texas: Tuesday’s matchup with Illinois at MSG will be hand-to-hand combat.
4. Virginia: Ben Vander Plas may wind up as the best sixth man in the ACC.
5. UConn: Jordan Hawkins is the best shooter that the Huskies have had since Ben Gordon and Rashad Anderson.
6. Arizona: Cedric Henderson Jr. is underrated.
7. Alabama: Noah Clowney is a stud.
8. Arkansas: Had 44 points off the bench on Saturday against San Jose State.
9. Tennessee: The Colorado loss is starting to look like an aberration.
10. Kansas: Dajuan Harris has 16 assists to two turnovers in his last two games.
11. Maryland: Kevin Willard is exceeding expectations.
12. Auburn: Eight players scored between eight and 16 points on Friday against Colgate.
13. Indiana: Got punked against Rutgers.
14. Illinois: Matthew Mayer has only reached double figures once.
15. Duke: Jacob Grandison is emerging.
16. Baylor: Langston Love looks like a wildcard.
17. Gonzaga: Has lost three games before the second week of December.
18. Kentucky: Cason Wallace is a star.
19. Iowa State: Solid as a rock.
20. Creighton: Sunday’s home loss to Nebraska was a stunner.
21. San Diego State: Will play one game out of California before New Year’s Eve and it’s in Arizona.
22. UCLA: Amari Bailey is turning a corner.
23. TCU: The entire rotation is eligible for Social Security.
24. Mississippi State: Has held its first eight opponents to 55 points or fewer.
25. Miami: Only loss came against Maryland.
26. Ohio State: Still a mystery team.
27. Michigan State: Have lost three of four against Northwestern.
28. Charleston: Hasn’t lost aside from a trip to North Carolina.
29. Virginia Tech: Justyn Mutts has graduated from Glue Guy status.
30. Wisconsin: Made 12 three-point shots in Saturday’s win at Marquette.
31. Marquette: The win over Baylor will travel all the way to Selection Sunday.
32. Xavier: Buy stock in Colby Jones.
33. Iowa: Kris Murray had 31 and 20 against Georgia Tech.
34. UNLV: Three of its top five scorers are in their fifth season.
35. Saint Louis: Yuri Collins has 58 assists in his last four games.
36. Texas Tech: Should be 10-1 entering Big 12 play.
37. North Carolina: 0-4 against power conference competition.
38. Arizona State: Frankie Collns is emerging,
39. West Virginia: Erik Stevenson is a bucket getter.
40. Rutgers: Finally healthy.
41. Memphis: Less talented than last season, but may be better.
42. Michigan: Still searching for a marquee win.
43. New Mexico: The win at Saint Mary’s moved the needle.
44. Utah: Beating Arizona raised my antennas.
45. Missouri: 9-0 entering Saturday’s game against Kansas.
Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and a contributor to the CBS Broadcast Network since 2016. He joined FanDuel in 2022 as a Content Creator. Rothstein is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks.