Purdue vs Minnesota Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for January 19 (Boilermakers Embarrass Golden Gophers at Home)
Purdue vs Minnesota Game Info
- 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Regular Season Game
- No. 3 Purdue (17-1, 6-1 Big Ten) vs. Minnesota (7-9, 1-5 Big Ten)
- Date: Thursday, January 19, 2023
- Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Venue: Williams Arena -- Minneapolis, Minnesota
The No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers are set to visit the Minnesota Golden Gophers for some Big Ten action at Williams Arena on Thursday, Jan. 19.
Opposing teams haven't found a way to solve Purdue lately. The Boilers have won four straight contests, most recently defeating Michigan State 64-63 on Monday. On the other hand, Minnesota has struggled, dropping to 1-3 in their last four games with a 78-60 loss to Illinois three nights ago.
Can Purdue vanquish its Big Ten foe at Williams Arena tonight? Or will Minnesota hand the Boilermakers their second loss of the season?
Purdue vs Minnesota Odds & Spread
- All college basketball betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: PURDUE: (-1250) | MINN: (+740)
- Spread: PURDUE: -13.5 (-115) | MINN: +13.5 (-105)
- Total: 133.5 -- Over: (-110) | Under: (-110)
Purdue enters this contest as the heavy favorite on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This 7 p.m. ET clash also features an over/under of 133.5 points, which is on the low side of Thursday's totals.
Purdue vs Minnesota Betting Trends
- Purdue has seven wins in 18 games against the spread this year.
- The Boilermakers have two wins ATS (2-7) as a 14.5-point favorite or greater this year.
- Purdue has seen six of its 18 games go over the point total.
- Against the spread, Minnesota is 7-9-0 this year.
- The Golden Gophers are unbeaten ATS (2-0) as a 14.5-point underdog or more this season.
- This year, five of Minnesota's 16 games have gone over the point total.
|Purdue Rank||Purdue AVG||Minnesota AVG||Minnesota Rank|
Purdue vs Minnesota Prediction & Pick
Purdue's terrific scoring defense (61.2 PPG, No. 19) has been vital to its success this season. In fact, the Boilermakers have allowed 69 or fewer points in 10 straight games. Furthermore, they're also holding opponents to a 40.3% field-goal percentage (No. 33) and 30.1% three-point shooting (T-No. 39).
An elite defense like that spells disaster for Minnesota. The Golden Gophers' offense has been inconsistent all year, averaging just 64.4 PPG (No. 314). They also only shoot 43.4% from the field at home, meaning there'll likely be plenty of misses for the Boilermakers — who average 26.0 defensive rebounds per game (T-No. 20) — to take advantage of.
It doesn't help that Minnesota is also 1-10 straight up in its last 11 Big Ten matchups while also losing four of its last five against Purdue.
With the Boilermakers beating six of their last seven Big Ten opponents, I'm even more confident that Purdue will win in blowout fashion tonight.
Final Score Prediction: Purdue: 76 | Minnesota: 62
Purdue vs Minnesota Best Bet
Another reason why Purdue has succeeded is due to its ability to start games off right. The Boilermakers average 36.1 points (T-No. 60) with a plus-7.4 scoring margin (No. 13) in the first half. Meanwhile, Minnesota tends to start slower, averaging 30.8 points (No. 272) with a minus-1.8 mark (T-No. 237) in the first frame.
With the Boilermakers' defense being among the nation's best and the Golden Gophers' offense being terrible, I don't see Purdue having any issues covering the first-half spread.
Bet: First-Half Spread — Purdue -7.5 (-118)
Devon Platana is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Devon Platana also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username PepeSilvia0. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.