Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Odds: Joey Chestnut Not Projected for New Record on 4th of July on FanDuel
New Year's Day has college football. Christmas Day has the NBA. And July 4 has the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.
And for as much as we've seen legends come and go in the NCAA or the NBA, there aren't many people on the planet that have been more dominant in their field than American legend Joey Chestnut.
The unquestioned greatest hot dog eater of all time will be back to defend his title on Monday, and FanDuel Sportsbook has odds for the event.
Joey Chestnut Hot Dog Odds
It's not a matter of whether Chestnut will win this year's contest, but whether he will break his own record of 76 dogs. This year, the betting markets seem to be projecting that he'll fall short.
FanDuel has the over/under on Chestnut's total set at 74.5. The over is a favorite, but at -150 that's a close enough line that we can safely assume the under would be the favorite if we bumped the line up to 76.5.
Of course, record or not, the odds also have Chestnut as a comically large favorite to win the event. Here's how he stacks up against the field:
- Joey Chestnut (-4000)
- Geoffrey Esper (+1600)
- NIck Wehry (+2300)
- James Webb (+2800)
- Gideon Oji (+3400)
- Darren Breeden (+3400)
Nathan's 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest Women's Odds
On the women's side, we're witnessing the return of another legend. New Yorker Miki Sudo did not participate in 2021 due to pregnancy, but she took home seven straight titles from 2014 to 2020. And looking at the winning total in her absence (30 3/4), she would have beat that mark in any of her seven wins.
Most recently, Sudo set the women's record for hot dogs with 48.5 eaten.
Like Chestnut, the betting markets don't favor another record being set in 2022 unfortunately. Her over/under is set at 46.5 hot dogs, with the under stacking up as a -140 favorite.
If you don't think that Sudo will return in peak form, pickings are slim in the field. Here are how the odds stack up to win the event:
- Miki Sudo (-2000)
- Michelle Lesco (+900)
- Any woman other than Miki Sudo or MIchelle Lesco (+900)
Hot Dog Eating World Record
The last two years have been special ones in the hot dog eating world. In 2020 we saw a new women's record set for hot dogs eaten in 10 minutes, while that was followed up with a new men's record in 2022.
World Record Hot Dogs (Men)
Joey Chestnut holds the men's world record in hot dog eating, having devoured 76 "hot dogs and buns" (HDB) in 10 minutes at the 2021 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest.
World Record Hot Dogs (Women)
On the women's side, Miki Sudo holds the hot dog record after knocking back 48 1/2 HDB in 10 minutes in 2020.
Joey Chestnut World Records
Chestnut's hot dog eating is obviously his most famous skill, but he's also an incredibly versatile competitive eater. Major League Eating credits him with a whopping 52 world records, which are as follows:
- Chicken Wings (Long Form) - 182 chicken wings in 30 minutes
- Hot Dogs - 76 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches - 45 in 10 minutes
- Tacos (Taco Bell) - 53 soft beef tacos in 10 minutes
- Chicken Wings - 7.61 pounds buffalo chicken wings in 12 minutes
- Hamburgers (Krystals) - 103 Krystal burgers in 8 minutes
- Meat Pies - 23 6oz meat pies in 10 minutes
- Donuts (Glazed) - 55 glazed donuts in 8 minutes
- Eggs - 141 hard boiled eggs in 8 minutes
- Asparagus - 12lbs 8.75oz deep fried asparagus spears in 10 minutes
- Pork Ribs - 13.76lbs pork rib meat in 12 minutes
- Corned Beef Sandwiches - 20 8-oz sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Apple Pie - 4.375 3-pound apple pies in 8 minutes
- Philly Cheesesteaks - 23 6-inch sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Funnel Cake - 5.9lbs in 10 minutes
- Fish Tacos - 30 6-oz tacos in 5 minutes
- Tacos, Traditional (3-inch tortilla) - 126 tacos in 8 minutes
- Mutton sandwiches - 81 4-oz sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Jalapeno Poppers - 118 in 10 minutes
- Pepperoni Rolls - 36 in 10 minutes
- Shrimp Wontons - 390 in 8 minutes
- Pulled Pork - 9lbs, 6oz meat in 10 minutes
- Horseshoe Sandwiches - 6lbs, 5oz in 12 minutes
- Pulled Pork Sliders - 62 in 10 minutes
- San Pedro Fish Market Shrimp - 7lbs in 8 minutes
- Canteen Sandwiches - 18.5 in 10 minutes
- Gyros - 30 8-oz gyros in 10 minutes
- Pork Roll Sandwiches - 61.5 4-oz sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Burritos (Long Form) - 14.5lbs burritos in 10 minutes
- Twinkies - 121 Twinkies in 6 minutes
- Boysenberry Pie - 14.5lb in 8 minutes
- Tamales - 102 in 12 minutes
- Gyoza - 184 in 10 minutes
- Pastrami - 25 7-oz sandwiches in 10 minutes
- Gumbo - 1.875 gallons in 8 minutes
- Ice-Cream Sandwiches - 25.5 in 6 minutes
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - 47 in 10 minutes
- Poutine - 28lbs in 10 minutes
- Shrimp Cocktail - 18lb 9.6oz in 8 minutes
- Hostess Donnettes - 257 in 6 minutes
- Salt Potatoes - 13lbs in 10 minutes
- Turkey (Whole) - 9.35lbs whole turkey in 10 minutes
- Pierogi - 165 in 8 minutes
- White hut Cheeseburgs - 52 in 10 minutes
- Pizza Hut P'Zones - 7.5 in 10 minutes
- Kolache Factory Kolaches - 56 in 8 minutes
- Brain Tacos - 54 in 8 minutes
- Croquetas - 185 in 8 minutes
- Carnitas Tacos - 82 2-oz tacos in 8 minutes
- H-E-B True Texas Beef Brisket BBQ Sandwiches - 27 in 10 minutes
- Waffles, Eggo-Style - 81 in 8 minutes
- Ramen Noodles (Short Form) - 10 cups in 1:50