Memphis vs SMU Prediction, Odds & Best Bet for January 26 (Tigers Exploit Mustangs' Scoring Issues in AAC Clash)
Memphis vs SMU Game Info
- 2022-23 NCAA Basketball Regular Season Game
- Memphis (15-5, 5-2 AAC) vs. SMU (7-13, 2-5 AAC)
- Date: Thursday, January 26, 2023
- Time: 7:00 PM ET
- Venue: FedExForum -- Memphis, Tennessee
Thursday, Jan. 26's NCAA college basketball schedule features some AAC action as the Memphis Tigers look to defeat the SMU Mustangs at FedExForum.
Memphis enters tonight's matchup following Sunday's 75-68 victory over Cincinnati, extending the Mustang's winning streak to three games. Meanwhile, SMU has been having the opposite experience. The Mustangs are 1-5 in their last six games and just fell 71-69 to mediocre Wichita State over the weekend.
Can Memphis extend its winning ways to four games? Or does SMU have what it takes to shock its AAC rival?
Memphis vs SMU Odds & Spread
- All college basketball betting lines, odds and prop bets are from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: MEM: (-1000) | SMU: (+640)
- Spread: MEM: -13.5 (-105) | SMU: +13.5 (-115)
- Total: 150.5 -- Over: (-106) | Under: (-114)
Memphis enters this contest as the heavy home favorite on the moneyline and spread per FanDuel Sportsbook's odds. This 7 p.m. ET clash also features an over/under of 150.5 points with the under being favored at -114 odds.
Memphis vs SMU Betting Trends
- Memphis' record against the spread is 9-11-0.
- The Tigers are winless ATS (0-5) when playing as at least 12.5-point favorites this season.
- Memphis has played 20 games this season, and 12 of them have gone over the total.
- SMU has covered the spread eight times in 19 games.
- The Mustangs have won once ATS (1-1) as a 12.5-point underdog or greater this season.
- This season, 12 of SMU's 19 games have hit the over.
|Memphis Rank||Memphis AVG||SMU AVG||SMU Rank|
Memphis vs SMU Prediction & Pick
I'm not too concerned about Memphis after how solid the team has looked during this winning streak — especially on defense. On top of boasting a plus-6.3 scoring margin over that span, the Tigers have held their last three opponents to 68.3 PPG on 37.9% shooting.
A strong defense like that spells bad news for an SMU that's had scoring issues all season. The Mustangs only average 67.2 PPG on the road while shooting 42.3% from the field and 27.2% on three-point attempts. They also turn the ball over 12.8 times per game overall (No. 174) and just finished with 16 turnovers against Wichita State.
There's also the fact that SMU has lost seven of its last eight road games, whereas Memphis has won 15 straight at home. Unless the Tigers completely forgot how to play basketball, winning shouldn't be an issue tonight.
Final Score Prediction: Memphis: 74 | SMU: 65
Memphis vs SMU Best Bet
Although I don't think SMU has much of a chance here, I have a hard time trusting Memphis as the -13.5 favorite. For starters, the Tigers are 1-7-1 ATS in their last nine games and 2-6-1 at FedExForum this season.
While SMU is only 1-4-1 ATS in its last six games, the Mustangs have covered the spread in 12 of their last 18 games against the Tigers. In other words, expect SMU to keep things slightly closer than the spread implies tonight.
Bet: SMU +13.5 (-115)
Devon Platana is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Devon Platana also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username PepeSilvia0. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.