Georgia Bulldogs National Championship History (Wins, Appearances and All-Time Record)
After the best semifinal round in College Football Playoff (CFP) history, the stage is set for a thrilling 2022 National Championship matchup between the No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs and the No. 3 TCU Horned Frogs. Only one team will come out on top and set their mark in college football history.
Here's everything you need to know about Georgia's national championship history before making its next appearance.
Georgia National Championship History
Georgia is no stranger to this event, entering the national title tilt for the second straight year. They were named the 2021 champions after defeating Alabama in January of 2022.
Georgia is readying for their third national championship appearance in school history and the university's 62nd bowl game appearance.
How Many National Championships Has Georgia Won?
The Bulldogs have won two National Championships in their history, but are not perfect in the national title game (despite only owning two previous appearances). To explain this, some insight into college football's national championship history must be considered.
In 1968, the AP poll began crowning a champion after the bowl games. But, from 1968-1992, the No. 1 and No. 2 teams only met in six bowl games throughout that span. College football understood the need for a change.
For 1990 and 1991, a consensus National Champion was named before the sport adopted the Bowl Coalition and Bowl Alliance. This system created a national title bowl game from 1992-1998, but neither Big Ten and Pac-10 were involved because of their obligations to the Rose Bowl. In 1999, college football instituted the BCS Championship until 2015 when the CFP was created.
How Many Times Has Georgia Played in National Championship?
Georgia owns a 1-1 record in their previous national championship appearances. These games include:
- 2022 CFP National Championship (Jan. 9, 2023): Georgia TBD, TCU TBD
- 2021 CFP National Championship (Jan. 10, 2022): Georgia 33, Alabama 18
- 2017 CFP National Championship (Jan. 8, 2018): Alabama 26, Georgia 23
The Bulldogs won their first national title in 1980. The 1980 squad went a perfect 12-0 before finishing the year as the AP's No. 1 team. This is considered the first national championship in school history.
Georgia National Championship Stat Leaders
Having played in two previous National Championship games (under the more modern format), the Georgia Bulldogs have some exciting team stats to consider in this matchup. Below are a list of the best national title game performances by individuals Bulldogs and a few team stat records as well.
- Team Passing Yards: 232 (2017)
- Team Rushing Yards: 140 (2021)
- Team Total Offense: 365 (2017)
- Team Points Scored: 33 (2021)
- Team Points Allowed (Low): 18 (2021)
- Team Turnovers Forced: 2 (2021)
- Most Passing Yards: Stetson Bennett, 224 (2021)
- Most Rushing Yards: Sony Michel, 98 (2017)
- Most Sacks: Davin Bellamy, 1.5 (2017)
- Most Tackles: Roquan Smith, 13, (2017)
- Most Touchdowns: Mecole Hardman, 2 (2017)
- Longest Rush: James Cook, 67 (2021)
- Longest Reception: Mecole Hardman, 80 (2017)
- Most Interceptions: Deandre Baker (2017), Christopher Smith (2021), Kelee Ringo (2021): 1
Adam Taylor McKillop is not a FanDuel employee. In addition to providing DFS gameplay advice, Adam Taylor also participates in DFS contests on FanDuel using his personal account, username atmckillop. While the strategies and player selections recommended in his articles are his personal views, he may deploy different strategies and player selections when entering contests with his personal account. The views expressed in their articles are the author's alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of FanDuel.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.