Site-wide Chat Has Been Removed 194

One of the more visible features on FanDuel over the past few years has been our site-wide chat room. We first released this in 2010 when the site was much smaller, and the conversations between early FanDuel players were useful and entertaining. We have grown nearly 100x in size since then which has dramatically changed the way chat operates. We are now at a point where it detracts more from the FanDuel experience than it adds. We have therefore decided to remove it.

The key issues were:

• At peak times chat scrolled so fast it was not readable or usable
  • It had become a support channel that was a challenge to serve due to its speed during peak times and site issues
  • It was used for frequent abuse and inappropriate comments that offended a large number of our players
  • People were sharing real and misleading player updates which spoiled the gameplay and were against our rules
  • It was a significant drain on our customer support team who could be helping with legitimate support issues elsewhere instead of monitoring and moderating chat
  • Our data showed that only a small minority of people used it, and surveys showed significantly more players were in favor of removing it than keeping it

While the case for removing chat was strong we recognize that some players still enjoyed it. If you are one of these players we apologize that it is no longer available and hope you can enjoy the rest of the site without it. Everyone is still able to send challenges to other FanDuel users by entering their username in the “Email address or FanDuel username” challenge boxes. If you are interested in finding leagues created by other users you should ensure the “User created” option in the “Advanced” lobby filters is checked.

Long term we will be introducing more social features that allow you to interact with other users in a much more useful way than a single site-wide chat room. In the short term we are focused on core gameplay features, for example solving the problem of opponent variety and allowing you to enter multiple contests in one go more easily.

As always, if you have questions or feedback please contact support@fanduel.com

194 thoughts on “Site-wide Chat Has Been Removed

1. Reply chukuyute Jan 21, 2014 10:35 am

Very happy about this. Too much garbage chatter. Especially daily chat about Condia. It was becoming very annoying. Thank u Fanduel!!!

• Reply you_mad_bro Jan 21, 2014 1:26 pm

How do you let what other people say on a chat board annoy you? That seems pretty weak.

• Reply suckamucka_foo Jan 23, 2014 1:29 am

I visited the room only once and it reminded me of my teenage days watching people make fun of others. I was trying to see if there was any serious discussion about games, players, etc but was disappointed. No real value added for most I’m sure.

• Reply THEPACIFICOCEAN Jan 23, 2014 4:30 am

You annoyed, bro ? Chukuyute’s comments are nothing to get annoyed about , calm down.

• Reply chukuyute Jan 23, 2014 1:49 pm

That’s not weak. They were talking pure garbage. It was doing more harm than good. We don’t need it. If u need something contact support. Chat is a waste of time.

• Reply sptplay Jan 23, 2014 10:16 pm

I kinda like it as I enjoyed watching others get excited about their wins plus when I was unable to watch the games all I’d have to do is watch chat to see who made the big plays the naysayers can’t disagree about that! I think the chat should have been improved not eliminated.

2. Reply stv1313 Jan 21, 2014 11:25 am

Great decision, Fanduel!

3. Reply Ryan Stayanchi Jan 21, 2014 11:25 am

Thank You!

4. Reply popflyboy Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I commend you all for making the bold move of removing the site-wide chat feature from site. While I never participated in the discussions, my curiosity lead me to read the chat comments frequently while on the site editing lineups, and frankly I was appalled at how disrespectful and insulting some users were. It reminded me of the offensive behavior that was rampant in the online poker community in the hey days before Black Friday.

I’m sure this was a tough decision for you all, but your explanation was eloquent and well thought out. You have created a better experience for the vast majority of your users by removing the chat feature, and I sincerely hope that you stick to your guns on this.

5. Reply RG Jan 21, 2014 12:23 pm

I like the decision. Chat was annoying and detrimental to the fairness and experience of gameplay. Well done FanDuel.

6. Reply SCREAMINGVIKING Jan 21, 2014 12:30 pm

I can understand why you took the chat room down its to bad a few PUNKS!who no nothing about the game of football and sports in general.Or sportsoolmanship they see morons on tv say stupid things and think that’s coo lmyself love the fanduel site and will continue to play and respect what changes may come

7. Reply Mike Kramer Jan 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Good riddance, reading some of the nonsense on the chat was like watching FOX news…

• Reply you_mad_bro Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Then why did you read it?

• Reply Dan Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm

… and inconsequential networks such as CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS and all the other pathethic MSM networks who report false lies and liberal controlled content! If it was only as easy as getting rid of the sheeples as it was for the chat…

• Reply Gerry Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks Dan for defending fox. Mike’s comment is exactly the reason for eliminating chat. Not related to sports. It just seems liberals can never play by anyone’s rules.

• Reply THEPACIFICOCEAN Jan 23, 2014 4:34 am

People still think that the corporate media is liberal ? That’s a conflict of corporate interest.

• Reply leckbug Jan 22, 2014 7:24 am

I likened it to the daily press conferences held by Jay Carney, a lot of empty talk by a lot of talking heads.

8. Reply lan6309 Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Thank you for taking down the Chart. I have always wondered when you will be doing this. All your reasons were absolutely on point. The false information and abusive language was the main problem for me.

Member

9. Reply vincent miceli Jan 21, 2014 1:08 pm

thank you for getting rid of chat! there are too many morons out there using it for the wrong reasons

10. Reply barlescharkley Jan 21, 2014 1:33 pm

yeah the chat was a waste of moderators….and unfortunately there are not all adults on here that can handle a chat without abusing it

11. Reply reyrozay Jan 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Definately a great move. I found it useful in my early tenor in fanduel. But the last time it was completely filled with everything but useful information. I’m glad you guys are focusing on getting my fanduel experience better rather then spending energy on something that isn’t very useful. Kudos to the fanduel staff for not standing still and implementing change.

12. Reply DPDG Jan 21, 2014 1:56 pm

the chat was cool and all you guys had to do was ban the disruptive chatters…simple and as far as player updates ban who ever is posting it…and to say it was disrupting play why would I listen to some update when I am online and can check it myself….you cant let everyone pay for the mistakes of few…so I….I feel you guys lost your control by not banning members for breaking the rules…ba them from chat and allow them to enter the games…..and just how people used it for the wrong it was used for the right reasons…so the reasons you put are valid but it can go either way….if you guys had dished out disciplinary action like you should’ve it this would’ve been prevented….and its funny the players who wanted it removed were in it huh…so why have it removed if Im not in it….how is it affecting me when I can collapse the chat and see nothing from it..well its your site and I don’t care about the chat to be honest with you but your reasons for taking it away can go to either side

13. Reply hmmm Jan 21, 2014 1:58 pm

To all these people so happy about chat being gone answer this question. Do you enjoy playing vs condia/1urcor/etc only? Because With no Chat how will you make your 1v1 contests with people from the site if you have no way of interacting with them unless you know them personally. Most of the posted contests are by the same people or people with thousands of wins who also snap up your contests if you post them yourself. [which is 100% fair but this is going to make casuals leave the site quickly]

Yes they stated you can send an E-mail to challenge someone. Explain how you’d do that to someone you don’t know and never interacted with. Garaunteed most people happy about this change only play tournaments and are anti-social anyways. There are/were plenty of people in chat that I enjoyed talking with during non peak hours and now that is completely cut off.

I just find it really dumb since you had the option to close chat if you didn’t like it but you don’t have the option now to chat with anyone since there’s no chat. The whole “Fan Duel” thing doesn’t really exist without ability to interact with each other and instead makes it feel like you’re playing vs the house.

Fanduel doesn’t realize the people in chat getting hyped whether good or bad ways will keep people coming back just for the atmosphere during game time aka free sustained promotion.

14. Reply jhn7537 Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm

I will miss the fun banter with all the good guys on Fan Duel, I will not miss all the trolls that tried to derail any civil conversation on chat… It was fun while it lasted, but it was abused all too often. Kinda sucks not being able to talk to all the guys anymore, but it is what it is…

15. Reply jturbin Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm

While I understand some of the reasons that Fanduel removed the chat, I think it’s pretty lame that one of them was because people were “offended” by some of the language used in it.

Any time you get a group of mostly men around talking about sports there is going to be some rude and insulting language used – that’s just human nature. Any person who was offended by this had the option to minimize the chat window and therefore ignore it.

Instead, by complaining to Fanduel about it these people showed that they are pathetic crybabies.

16. Reply texaswreckshop Jan 21, 2014 2:20 pm

It’s a shame that adults couldn’t follow the rules and just be cool people in the chat. In a perfect world, chat is awesome and usually entertaining, but since most of these interactions on here are anonymous, things were anything but perfect.

17. Reply icecolecarl Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Excellent. For some reason I had a problem with reducing it on my tablet devices and saw many crude and inappropriate comments I didn’t need to see that had nothing to do with fantasy sports on FD. Now if only opponent variety can be addresses in the small leagues…

18. Reply rich_13 Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

THE DISAPPOINTING CONCERN IS THAT YOU LET SEVERAL SORDID INDIVIDUALS CONTROL YOUR ORGANIZATION AND US GOOD PEOPLE FROM TALKING SPORTS SO MORONS HAVE WON AGAIN YOU THINK THEY CARE I WOULD REBUILD THE CHAT WITH STRICK GUIDELINES ONCE SOMEONE IS OUT OF LINE ELIMINATE THEM FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AFTER 3X’S THEY ARE REMOVED FOR EVER

19. Reply Thierry76 Jan 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Thank you, long time coming.

20. Reply Dirtywaters Jan 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Good riddance. Reading some of the nonsense on the chat was lk watching MSNBC

21. Reply dropkicks Jan 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Won’t miss it one bit. Actually glad that it’s gone, but I know there is about of dozen or so that are currently crying in their parents basement.

22. Reply dropkicks Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm

I’ll try this again, using English this time around…

Won’t miss it one bit. Actually glad that it’s gone, but I know there are about a dozen or so who are currently crying in their parents’ basement.

23. Reply Julian Jan 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Thats horrible chat was a big part of this site for many users.

24. Reply shortyb12 Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Thank You!!! for getting rid of the chat room . I did go on chat and get useful info back then and i did like it when u could pm another player but that was back then. I’m happy its officially gone.

25. Reply terribleplayer Jan 21, 2014 3:43 pm

All are good points. Yes it was too hard for the admins to constantly monitor it, and was ruining the higher stake players. I suggest to create a posting forum instead. This will still allow members to interact with each other, and easier to maintain/control. I also love the scoring changes for MLB and NBA. Good job FD!!

26. Reply buffballz Jan 21, 2014 3:50 pm

I Believe Fanduel is to blame for the chatroom problems anyways , I mean why have a chat on a sports gambling site and then not allow weather information, line up information, or player injury news??? Think about it why the hell would I want to chat with my competitors unless I could receive valuable Information??? So then there is your answer if I am not allowed talk sports Info on the sites chat then I probably am going to talk nonsense on it, Should have never had it in 1st place!!!! FYI all those people that got so mad when someone said a MLB game got rained out or a NBA player got suspended or hurt U R NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE INTERNET!!!!

27. Reply sfg Jan 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Thank you!!
    FanDuel’s integrity has further increased.

28. Reply nhl94 Jan 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Good move, in smaller volumes the chat could have been useful but it was just becoming a nonstop stream of garbage. If it is reintroduced in the future, having a room devoted to each sport that isnt connected to the main page would be a good option.

29. Reply luvallmygirlz Jan 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Thank you for removing the chat. Too much false info flying around. Although at times some of the content was entertaining and even comical, it did detract from the site.

30. Reply blackntans Jan 21, 2014 4:11 pm

AWESOME!!!!!!NO MORE IDIOTS, MORONS, AND ROOKIES FISHING!

31. Reply NOTGONNASTOP Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Good riddance, reading some of the nonsense on the chat was like watching MSNBC news…

32. Reply billy Jan 21, 2014 4:18 pm

condia lineup?

33. Reply Michael Kramer Jan 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Good riddance, reading some of the nonsense on the chat was like watching CNN news…

34. Reply JCAL585 Jan 21, 2014 4:22 pm

It was nice to chat on a weekday afternoon, when the chat wasn’t scrolling too fast. But, now I can have multiple windows open without it slowing my computer down! That’s a bonus, now I can keep on eye on all my lineups.

35. Reply Robconner Jan 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Bravo Fanduel!! There were so many condia nuthuggers there always trying to find out what lineup he put as opposed to creating their own that it became ridiculous.

36. Reply fantaplaya17 Jan 21, 2014 4:44 pm

i liked the chat but def like it better gone…i would like chat for each individual tournament though, whether it be a heads up or the slam or bomb say, just so that you can talk between the players you are playing.

37. Reply zombiehockey Jan 21, 2014 4:44 pm

When given a survey to better help fanduel serve the community, this is exactly what I asked for. It is useless unless your goal is to spam and troll opinions about other people and nothing to do with fanduel.

Good Move!

38. Reply Jack Jan 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Although I rarely ever used it I sometimes enjoyed reading it while watching scores. I think it is unfortunate that a bunch of babies who could easily minimize the chat screen cried so much something had to be done. Again , I never used it but I find it disturbing that with the option to close chat some people choose to cry and cry and cry.

39. Reply Jalove Jan 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Thank you!

40. Reply mazlego Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm

I think I would have preferred they try out bans for people doing the things listed above, but in no way am I upset over the removal of chat. How about they just create a forum/message board tab so people who do not wish to view fake info/trolls can avoid it and those who wish to actually converse with others can?

41. Reply ncik Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Fox NEWS IS GOOD Mike Kramer must be a clueless democrat

42. Reply lalo_hopscotch Jan 21, 2014 5:11 pm

So glad this was done, poked my head in there on Saturday and was completely disgusted. I wish my more sites, would pay attention to the behavior in their chat rooms.

43. Reply madmanjay Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm

PATHETIC

But maybe you can find the time to add CJ McCollum now.

Since obviously you have no clue who he is I’ve provided the following for your help. Also, it would be nice if you would purge the NBA system of the countless players who aren’t even in the ASSOCIATION anymore you continue to list day after day.

I got a feeling at the end of the day this is going to decrease your market share more. Time will tell.

Christian James “C. J.” McCollum is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Portland Trail Blazers of the National Basketball Association. He was drafted 10th overall in the 2013 NBA Draft by the Trail Blazers. Wikipedia

44. Reply youme Jan 21, 2014 5:14 pm

A few bad apples ruins something that a majority liked. Typical.

45. Reply voyand Jan 21, 2014 5:15 pm

thank god this shit is gone, now we dont have to hear Jstern and Jupiter’s bullshit sob stories every day.

46. Reply gpalm05 Jan 21, 2014 5:22 pm

I feel like removing the chat is going to take away from the site. I actually enjoyed chat for the most part. I believe a better resolution to the problem would have been banning the people who could not follow the rules from posting on chat again and setting it up to where new users couldn’t post. That would have left chat for only those who obeyed the rules and didn’t flood it with hate and nonsense. Hopefully your decision works out and the site is better for it, but i will miss the chat.

• Reply lalo_hopscotch Mar 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Why go through the trouble with the bans, they did the best thing and technically by removing chat the morons were banned.

47. Reply Raging Bender Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Good move. I never used it because of the reasons you mentioned. However, in the private games I’ve set up – everyone really wished there was a chat feature. It was always used in the FF leagues we were in.
    SUGGESTION:
    Provide the same chat room feature for private leagues (where everyone typically knows everyone else.) where the “chat” is only allowed between members in that league.

48. Reply tampatown Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm

So be it, another class move by a class fantasy site!

49. Reply Sean Nash Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

I think the chat was a nice feature…but it should be separate from the website. If you want to chat, click on a chat/discussion board instead of having it always on your page. Maybe have a tab for it on top of the page for people who want to participate.

50. Reply Alex Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Best decision you guys have made so far! Fan Duel #1!!!

51. Reply Nice Work Fanduel Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm

I love this, well done, but please figure out a quick way to help us get matched up or program match up block. The only good thing about chat was being able to see games against guys who weren’t pros. Setting up a game now, unless you have pre existing friendships on the site, is going to end up being a never ending run of vultures.

52. Reply Zookerman182 Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm

I miss the good ole days of chat.

I also miss the good ole days of fanduel.

So much more fun back in 2010. Tourneys are too top heavy now with too many entries.

It was a community of friends in 2010. Now it’s a circus.

I’m glad the chat is gone.
    Next order of business should be limiting people from cornering the market on games.

53. Reply nitro_mania Jan 21, 2014 6:15 pm

would use chat to post late user created league links. now may not fill.

54. Reply Ghostgardener Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

It is what it is. I know this will hurt FD’s bottom line though.

55. Reply dsquad Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. Reply viper54 Jan 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Thank you! Great points in doing so I must say. It was turning into an undesirable blog and was ruining fantasy sports. I couldn’t agree more with setting up false player information as well.

Again Thank you and Semper Fi!

• Reply leachman90 Jan 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Well you could have kept the mods and NOT make them public. Mod stuff went down hill you made their names public. They were doing a good job and you said the same. OR people could have just dropped the chat off their screens? Or more per bans for repeat offenders? It is funny with all these people saying what a good move it was to get rid of it when all’s they had to do was drop it down it they were SO offended. I think this is more of an EXCUSE for FD not to have to deal with it than to help other users. Kinda like when FD said they were going to get the “private” chat back like 2 yrs ago. FD has just become a “MEGA” money play and nothing else. As you can see by the induv game rooms this place has become nothing more than a “pro game play” instead of a fun place to come and try out your fantasy sports knowledge and enjoy some action. Oh well

57. Reply mr_rotten Jan 21, 2014 6:57 pm

I did like using the chat with adults instead of kids. I think you guys should have just banned the people for good from chat that violated the rules.That would have worked if Admin would have just done it instead of 50 warnings.But I applaud you for doing something.

58. Reply rich_13 Jan 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Also whats happen’s when u need to cancel. chat was a quick way. support does not get back to u that fast

59. Reply Zach Jan 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Thats too bad I thought the chat was awesome and unique. Maybe you guys should add chat for all the individual tourneys

60. Reply Gunner12 Jan 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Will only miss some of the humor. The bakes that helped run the chat out of town I will not miss. Some useful some entertaining but also some idiotic and unnecessary. Now you can talk to yourselves. Chat removed=no brainer. On with the games.

61. Reply RayRay Jan 21, 2014 7:07 pm

So no more jokes?

62. Reply @BrotoNBA Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm

I think this is absolute garbage. Most of the reasons stated are excuses so that fanduel doesn’t have to provide support. Fanduel should at least have a separate opt in chat room for select sports. As for those saying that people were buying into misleading fantasy updates, caveat emptor. If you take everything you read online as truth without researching it yourself, you deserve to be fooled.

63. Reply Simplegreen44 Jan 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Wow. All of the comments are from people who (admittedly) don’t even use the chat. I thought we were all adult enough to turn the channel if we don’t like what’s on. Literally, all you have to do is minimize the window and POOF, no more chatbox. I actually enjoyed the chat deature, I met a few cool people who share a similar interest, I had a few good laughs, and I generally found it interesting to read others opinions. Sure, some people abuse chat rooms, but a simple ‘mute’ function would have solved that issue. All in all,I do feel that the lack of the chat makes Fanduel less attractive overall because it leaves me no alternative method to talking about sports other than going to another site, which defeats the purpose of coming to this one. When you add in the fact that player news is so rarely updated, at least for NBA, this site is kind of bland all of a sudden. In conclusion, It wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t THAT bad.

64. Reply future11 Jan 21, 2014 7:23 pm

THANK YOU FANDUEL! It was not you guys but alot of idiots were ruining it for everyone with the constant trolling

65. Reply child please 303 Jan 21, 2014 7:29 pm

i agree 100% Vincent. best move fanduel has ever made

66. Reply Detjunks87 Jan 21, 2014 7:30 pm

I agree the site-wide chat was more harm then good, however I believe a separate chat room for each contest would be outstanding. Only those involved in those contests would be able to participate (after the games have started).

Thanks

67. Reply Ruben Kaplan Jan 21, 2014 7:34 pm

I liked the chat.

68. Reply Adam R. Jan 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Best news I’ve heard all day! Thank You!!!

69. Reply jet Jan 21, 2014 7:37 pm

this a good move…however…Fanduel should consider having a chatroom specifically for the leagues, tournaments and head to heads for those who enter.

The chatroom will only be available to a select number. Yes, some leagues are about 18,000 entries but those are multiple entries per user and it’s better than an unorganized sitewide chat.

Just a thought.

70. Reply Mandeer Jan 21, 2014 7:41 pm

THANK THE LORD JWOLF WILL NOT HAVE TO FIND A FRIEND

71. Reply satch65 Jan 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Thank you!!!

72. Reply stackshotbilly Jan 21, 2014 8:01 pm

As a longtime fandueler, I can say I am glad to see the chatroom go…just a bunch of garbage on there for the most part anymore.

73. Reply Richie7740 Jan 21, 2014 8:10 pm

As an alternative to the chat room, I would like to suggest a message board installed on each contest. This will appear after the game starts and it would be a great way for users within a league/tourney/h2h to communicate with each other over their experiences within their own game. I feel this would benefit and enhance overall communication. That way, it relates to what people have to read and be apart of.

74. Reply nygiantfan Jan 21, 2014 8:12 pm

it was of no use, when lol now lets plays some football!!!

75. Reply MikeMoney101 Jan 21, 2014 8:12 pm

I am happy and fully support this decision. Way to make the correct, albeit tough call!

76. Reply nygiantfan Jan 21, 2014 8:14 pm

good job end email if you like to keep the chatter going, I email for profit

77. Reply aurum48 Jan 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Pretty crazy chat and lots of abusive content…although some pretty funny one liners in there a times. Overall, no skin off my nose and a good move on Fanduel’s part.

78. Reply BigNub Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Great Job FanDuel!!!!!!!!!!!

79. Reply broom Jan 21, 2014 8:33 pm

i did not use chat much either but liked the comments sometimes from others”:(

80. Reply chainsaul Jan 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Thank you Fanduel. I remember the “good old days” when you could actually have a sports conversation with knowledgeable people. Now the only thing to be read on there are insults about what people think of each others mothers. All of your reasons were very much on point.It had gotten so bad I could not tell if I was watching Hussein Obamas last speech or Fanduel chat.Both were full of so much garbage. Any way your great company could do away with the other problem I just mentioned? Thanks so much! Semper Fi

• Reply roboratz Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Hey Chainsaul – you just showed your true age by mentioning the “good old days”… I thought you have retired from DFS… see you around.

81. Reply James Lemmler Jan 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I think the chat was funny at times and others just plan stupid! I wish tho there could be chat rooms that people could make and only invite in certain people or just specific sport things like that with a 30 day ban if chat abused Just my opinion.

82. Reply Brian Jan 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Thank you FanDuel . You have more of my money , because of this move.

83. Reply TheJester Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm

That’s a shame, looks like a few people ruined it for all of the others. People who say it was annoying could always just minimize it.

84. Reply Mark Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm

I liked the chat because it allowed people to share their excitement over the sports contests they were competing in. It seems a little dull tonight without the chat going. It’s a shame that the few affect the needs of what I think are the many. I hope it doesn’t hurt your business. Best of Luck! Mark C.

85. Reply uta Jan 21, 2014 8:42 pm

BRAVO, say it again BRAVO , so happy this is gone

86. Reply Jim Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Although there were a lot of idiots on there, it was sometimes entertaining watching some of the banter. Some of it was pretty amusing. For those that got offended by it, grow some thicker skin. Personally, I can live with it or without it. Looks like it’s going to be without it. I’m afraid that some of those regulars are going to go postal though…I think they lived for that chat room…lol

87. Reply Mike H Jan 21, 2014 8:44 pm

How about each game it self has a chat room, just for the people in that room or would that still be hard, i guess for those big leagues with like 2-3-4 thousand people it would be, but like even the 100 player leagues or 20 player ones, it would be cool to chat with others u are playing against

88. Reply bodymore52 Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Understand why and didnt think id care but i dont spend as much time now on fan duel as i use to. I have noticed that within 1 day of no chat lol.. Oh well. Take care all my chat buddys

89. Reply Trunkz Jan 21, 2014 8:46 pm

I loved chat it made fanduel fun….

90. Reply Jonathan K Jan 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Nobody used it? Yet it went to fast to read? As usual a few that Fanduel couldn’t control messed it up for everyone. Why couldn’t Users just close the window? I personally could care less either way, but hate that I couldn’t just have the decision to view it or not.

91. Reply Jason Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm

will there be a way to share links to tournaments?

92. Reply Soylent Green Jan 21, 2014 9:35 pm

The World of Warcraft experience has been removed!

93. Reply clarnzz Jan 21, 2014 10:07 pm

I dunno, trainwrecks can be fun to watch, but the decision is a good one. :)

94. Reply Ditkasmonsters Jan 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Very good move Fanduel,
    While it was nice to chat to some players most were ignorant and rude.
    Most players only wanted to trash talk.
    I do not enter contests to brag.I enter contest to win $.

Thank you Fanduel for the change and opportunity.
    Keep up the great work.

Ditkasmonsters.

95. Reply destindawgs Jan 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Awesome move. Couldn’t agree more. THANK YOU!!!!!

96. Reply dmeltzer Jan 21, 2014 10:26 pm

So happy to see this. Thank you for taking action and removing this chat bar. It was distracting, offensive and was just not needed on the site. Definitely makes FanDuel so much better!

97. Reply toneloc1018 Jan 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Thank god the chat is over!! Great site but people abused the chat room!! Maybe now they can get back to their lives!! Thanks fanduel!!

98. Reply beatalluidiots Jan 21, 2014 11:49 pm

im so glad the chat has been taken down.. dont have to hear the same clowns on their every day all day talking crapp… to name a few.. thierry kchiefsfan tidow velocity jwolf and the guy that LIVES on fd christian420.. ha ha u low life clowns have to spend the rest of ur day else were and we dont have to listen to ur non sense good riddens christian, idiot

99. Reply AJSCool Jan 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Amen, it was time

100. Reply anon Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

I will miss the links to tourneys and such that I had not entered…any other way ??

101. Reply Dr. Drewl Jan 22, 2014 12:25 am

Horrible decision to remove chat box…

Your chat box and the interesting assortment of characters who posted there (regular or otherwise) was the best part of gaming on your site. 90% of the discussion was civil and productive, and full of good info. Not only that, I’m sure it kept a lot if people on your site, gaming, when they might have otherwise left.

I understand why you wouldn’t want to pay someone to monitor it… But I guarantee you some of the regulars woul have staffed it voluntarily. Either way you blew it… Nobody was forced to participate in the chat, and those who did loved it. Hope you enjoy the silence….

102. Reply MickFucci16 Jan 22, 2014 12:31 am

Amen! Thank you I had to hide the chat so I wouldnt be annoyed. Looking forward to the changes!

103. Reply MoonliteCoconuts Jan 22, 2014 12:41 am

Good decision, it was annoying, especially on my iPad. Won’t be missed.

104. Reply Poker_Brat Jan 22, 2014 1:13 am

Goodbye to some of the decent human beings I met during 2013. Although i do feel Fan Duel will come out with some form of social tool for users, I can understand completely why this decision was made. Goodluck ya’ll with your games.

105. Reply jstern3 Jan 22, 2014 1:42 am

this is not a social network….it is a daily fantasy site….it now resembles one…..thank you fanduel.

106. Reply moneytaker Jan 22, 2014 1:53 am

Thank you! Thank you! That was really a drag; next up improvement an app?

107. Reply sportsfans Jan 22, 2014 2:35 am

All of the points FD made are valid. It was great a couple of years ago, and we even shared legit information with other respected players after games ended. The past 2 years have seen the chat function degenerate to a distraction with misinformation, spam, and garbage comments. Just a waste of time for us and the moderators, good job FD.

108. Reply rwebb2205 Jan 22, 2014 3:15 am

Anyone have Condias lineup?

109. Reply ramswin1 Jan 22, 2014 4:37 am

Anyone have early Condia lineup?

110. Reply infinite420 Jan 22, 2014 8:45 am

I have mixed feelings on the removal of chat. I love the fact that i will not become distracted anymore by chat while i am changing lineups and entering contests. However, I do feel like some of your most loyal patrons posted games in chat. That is a big con, especially for people looking to avoid condia. I also understand a lot of your competitors were mentioned in chat, i notice that this was not listed in the reasons for chat removal, but i am sure it was one of them. All i will say about that is you guys are on top of this industry, and a lot of other dfs sites have chat. This might end up hurting you guys a little. I am sure the product team will come up with a more personalized social feature and i have full confidence in you guys. I will keep grinding and cannot wait for mlb.

111. Reply Sandy Jan 22, 2014 9:10 am

I didn’t even know this was a feature. Thanks for the great site and ease of operation.

112. Reply Jack Jan 22, 2014 10:18 am

Just a scheme to make Condia more money.

113. Reply thebigsexy Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am

If you use the same rational for this then fast food places should ban ketchup on hamburgers because I don’t like ketchup. But instead of taking away something other people like I simply order the burger without the ketchup. So if you don’t like the chat just close the window. Same thing for the false information argument, if you cant do your own homework ( fanduel has pretty up to date info for every player) then take your beating and figure it out. If your looking for someone to blame for your troubles the best place to start looking is in the mirror.

114. Reply HANKYtrain505 Jan 22, 2014 11:50 am

Pretty ridiculous move! If anyone was offended or thinks it should have been removed, they could have easily minimized it. The fact that fanduel caved to the bunch of attention seeking cry-babies who feigned offense to anything said in a chat room is kind of a cop out!

115. Reply Badlanders Jan 22, 2014 11:52 am

Very glad to see this feature removed. It was extremely annoying and there was no way to deactivate it. This is a site to play fantasy sports for $. If you want to “chat”, go to Facebook or Twitter!

116. Reply walttheshark Jan 22, 2014 1:41 pm

I think that the chat was out of control. The only thing I did like was being able to push a created league on the chat if it was getting close to game time and it wasn’t filled yet. Is there anything like that going to be upcoming. Just only being able to post created leagues?

117. Reply Seabue123 Jan 22, 2014 3:00 pm

WTH,Non more chat? Whats up W/Dat?..Guess I will just talk to myself while I make my LU…Im a lonely man now:(…. ;)

118. Reply Greg Jan 22, 2014 3:04 pm

I see the moderator here is very much like the moderator in the chats. I think it is fine that it is gone, especially since like my prior on topic post under an assumed name (Like the 10 others here), your moderating issues were more caused by your staff picking favorites, which in turn led the trolls to free reign. Kind of like the MSNBC shot that is allowed above, completely off topic and against the rules but allowed probably because the admin agreed.

But, as I mentioned previously, and now mentioned again above, prepare to lose business because the volume guys will eat up every game unless a person has offline relationships on the site, especially since matchup block is not on here. You should program a meeting match up button to match up folks based on some formula (wins, profile info) and allow in matchup boards as well, make it more interesting.

119. Reply CamelChaser Jan 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Thank you !!!!!!!

120. Reply itaaa Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm

chat function was annoying anyway. scrolled up faster than i could read, and when i did catch a glimpse of what people were saying – it was mostly people just talking smack.

121. Reply Scott Yost Jan 22, 2014 4:44 pm

I might rejoin….That was annoying…

yostie

122. Reply Knick Jan 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Here’s a suggestion… why not just leave the chat open ONLY during prime game hours? (while games are going on)

123. Reply Randy Shipley Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Duel edged sword – many users liked the chat. To those that do not like it, they don’t have to enable it anyways.

You can always ban users that are abusive. I think you took out a key engagement component that you will never know the true effect of. If business continues to grow, someone will just say “see, chat was not important”. Unfortunately, that is a poor measurement because you will never know the amount you lost because you deleted this feature.

There are many different types of chat systems you could have enabled including many that provide private chat rooms that can be moderated by the creator of the chat room.

I think you made a mistake.

124. Reply tsfboy Jan 22, 2014 6:38 pm

*** FANDUEL, READ MY SUGGESTION *** The best thing to do, is to not rid of the live chat completely, but put it inside the tournaments/leagues/etc AFTER the games start. This way, only those who are playing can chat with other fellow players within that tournament/league/etc. This will weed out a lot of crap, and provide a fun & competitive experience without any worries of player news and such since the games have already started.

125. Reply yownz71 Jan 22, 2014 6:54 pm

I stopped chatting quite some time ago due to the stupidity and ignorance of many (mostly newbies) that really were just spewing nothing that was insightful or intelligent. Actually, it was good to say hello to the players I did know, so that, for me will be missed. But the way the chat has evolved as of late, not surprised to see it gone.

126. Reply Mick_Dagger Jan 22, 2014 7:34 pm

I enjoyed the chat even though at times inappropriate comments were made. Just like in real life…not everyone is perfectly behaved. Punishing the worst offenders is what should have been done…not the rest of us. To all of those who are celebrating chat being removed, All you had to do was close off the chat window to not participate. You remind me of the douchebags happy about liberties being removed from all citizens because a few felons break the Law.

• Reply ImMaddog Jan 28, 2014 2:35 am

It wasn’t the abusive comments for me, it was all the free info on players that was being given out by douchebags.

127. Reply egr Jan 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Chat was part of the experience that made this greAT. couldnt you just hit the X so the chat didnt show up on your screen?

128. Reply soulstealer Jan 22, 2014 7:50 pm

A little warning would have been nice so I could have got banned one final time

129. Reply Already1 Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Condia Condia Condia !

130. Reply judgelandis Jan 22, 2014 8:59 pm

I agree 100% with every reason for ending chat you have listed above. Just shocked it was allowed to continue completely out of control as long as it was.

131. Reply buiznitch Jan 22, 2014 9:01 pm

I’m glad the chat is gone. It moved too fast to keep up with and a bunch of people ruined it for others. I think fan duel should look into adding a message board where one can post. This would be easier to keep up with conversations and easier for them to monitor. The same rules could apply to the message board as the chat break the rules and be banned. JMO

132. Reply edmarli Jan 22, 2014 9:19 pm

no chat is better, so now the experience will be personal to the user. However i think people will start to use THIS forum for chat…lol its best to remove this also..

133. Reply PersianGuy Jan 22, 2014 9:20 pm

THANK YOU.

134. Reply TobyV29 Jan 23, 2014 12:16 am

I enjoyed the chat box and found it entertaining. There are a lot of ways to auto-control a chat box (you guys aren’t the first ones on the internets to have one). The first thing you should do is have a 24 hour auto-ban for 3 identical posts in a row (I’ve seen this on other websites). The spam is the biggest problem. You could also make it only available for active players with a minimum level of investment like $100-$500 in paid entries. That would eliminate about 99% of the problems.

135. Reply KendoSlice Jan 23, 2014 12:23 am

Should have kept chat. Establishing simple rules such as no cursing or any type of personal insults with a penalty of 30 days no chat would have solved everything. I am only playing Hockey because of chat. Terrible move on Fanduel’s part. Chat was very informing to those that had an ability to interact with others respectfully. Why let the individuals who r unable to be respectful in a online chatroom affect those who enjoyed it. Anyone who was disgusted by chat had the ability to close it. Should have put the chatroom up for vote. This is a democracy the last time I checked.

136. Reply luvthemredbirds Jan 23, 2014 2:26 am

I personally will miss the chat during baseball season. I liked getting info in chat when someone hit a HR in a game I wasnt watching. I liked setting up leagues for fun with guys you knew would follow rules(ex. if only 1 early game take 8 hitters from that game and any pitcher). I liked the fact that you could get a league filled up at the last moment by posting it in chat. These will no longer be options. I was unhappy last year when you took away stacking(limit 4 players). I was unhappy when the late l/u switching thing happened(not sure if we ever got to the bottom of that) AKA Condiagate! As small as this may be to some it may be the tipping point that pushes my money to a different site.

137. Reply BattleAxe357 Jan 23, 2014 2:49 am

Personally.., I am not really affected by this move. I rarely ever chat and although I am a tournament player that does not make me anti-social. Now, I have an idea that may help both sides. You could open chat after the main events begin…foe example: during NBA around 7:00 pm eastern time. After deadlines for line up editing in any sport. You could also add a chat forum or separate chat-room away from the main page. I think that the chat is essential for some of these guys that enjoy that type of camaraderie and useful for the new users that have questions. I have seen this sight grow and become what it is today and would hate to see any kind of downward trend with visitors. I think that I would try other solutions first!

138. Reply akpghfan Jan 23, 2014 3:01 am

It really is a shame chat is gone. I don’t understand the reasoning. Well, unless it was a bottom-line decision to eliminate employees, but that’s just sad considering the mint that FD is making. It does come down to individual choices — you weren’t required to chat to play. I’ll still play, and likely over time will forget about it (as FD certainly foresees), but it really isn’t as much fun, already. I really hope FD provides an alternative chat forum in the near future.

139. Reply KARLITOWAY74 Jan 23, 2014 5:44 am

I would ask why did it take so long but I think we all know the answer to that, $$$$. The chat feature has been out of control since 2011 FFFC. Racial slurs, threatening lives & physical harm, inappropriate sexual comments (perverts), political & religious freaks, cyber bully’s and etc… The classic info sharing was unbelievable & the Condia BS was like the nail in the coffin for me. I guess if the people didn’t ask for chat to be removed administration would have left that ignorant feature up and for what, $$$$. I honestly didn’t think Fanduel had the balls to do it and I’m happy to admit I was wrong. The brand is more important than momentary profit!

140. Reply unsheathed Jan 23, 2014 6:52 am

While chat was widely abused and misused, I enjoyed it on Sundays for NFL. Games on the TV, FD contests and chat on my laptop. I think it made for more fun on Sundays with people urging on their players of the week and linking their LU’s when they were doing well in a tourney. That part of chat I will miss……..

141. Reply NOtGOONASTOP Jan 23, 2014 9:06 am

THIS CHAT COAST ME MILLON DOLLARS

142. Reply tooslowjoe Jan 23, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks Fan Duel for removing a chat that was well out of control and very disruptive. As Chainsaul and Zook have indicated the chat we had years ago compared to the chat today is no comparison.

143. Reply Ylchickadee Jan 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Great decision!

144. Reply Iggy Jan 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Im surprised how many people are happy about this. I mean if you don’t like a TV station you just dont watch that station…but making those of us who like that particular show or channel are now not allowed to watch it because you dont like the channel is just stupid.

I for one, enjoyed the interaction with other players. It makes it more fun to celebrate together and talk a little friendly trash during commercials….A lot of people made me laugh regularly with their great sense of humor. Trolls are easy to spot and could be taken out for being abusive…Its a shame that those of us who enjoy the chat are the ones paying the price for the very few who abused it. Anyone who repeatedly spreads bad info is banned…not that hard to do…I would do it for you for free since Im on all the time.

145. Reply 3bagger Jan 23, 2014 1:39 pm

I was a daily user of FD Chat, and I’m Glad it’s gone. Chat became a cesspool of degenerates and immature clowns attacking each other like high school freshman. I commend FanDuel for having the intestinal fortitude to shut chat down! Bottom line is few to none of the chatters respected or abide by the rules, and in life when u abuse anything, it always falls apart…

146. Reply brian Jan 23, 2014 3:59 pm

good move- was my least favorite part of your great website

147. Reply soulstealer Jan 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Is Condia a bot? Are Condia and 1ucror the same person?

148. Reply soulstealer Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Can FanDuel be held liable when Jupiter does himself in?

149. Reply Mike H Jan 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Hey why not have a fanduel comment board like this one but for like games, NBA section NHL section, it would take longer for dumb people to spam the boards, or a section like where someone starts a injury topic, find out who is out or suspended etc etc i know we are all playing against each other but its nice to help out to.

Something like this would be cool to i mean ya u would have to go to a whole knew page and have 2 pages open which could be a pain, or just go back and forth, from the comments to your teams updated scoring during the games,

150. Reply shopguy Jan 23, 2014 6:30 pm

I never spoke in chat but enjoyed reading some of the funny stuff that was said. I also may have been tricked early on to play a hurt or sitting player but it taught me to do my own research. I liked the updates from games I wasn’t viewing at that time. I don’t think it was bad and I am a firm believer that if you don’t like it you could have ignored it or minused the chat box out. I hope they reinstate it for the people who liked to go on and made friends on there

151. Reply jhawk78 Jan 23, 2014 8:10 pm

I cant believe it took that long to get rid of it. @iggy you comparing this to a tv show the majority dont like but some do is terribly wrong, if it were a tv show that the majority of people didn’t enjoy watching they would cancel the show. There are plenty of avenues for social networking it doesn’t belong anywhere in fantasy sports.

152. Reply lil_dead_813 Jan 23, 2014 9:14 pm

I didn’t really care if it was gone or not, but since it’s gone GOOD RIDDANCE!

153. Reply Texman182 Jan 23, 2014 9:30 pm

But how will all those guys talk about how much they love Condia? That’s all I ever read in that chat- talk about Condia and false info.

Great move FanDuel! Thanks!

154. Reply Spookslayer313 Jan 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Chat did suck. There was a few cool people on it, thousands of douche bags. Would be nice if you added a chat after a match started, that only the people in that contest could enter. It would keep the trolls out, but allow a way for the actual players to communicate.

155. Reply Tbird3716 Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Can someone help me understand why people who disliked chat box had it open to begin with?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the chatbox only viewable if you opened it yourself? If you didn’t care for the chatbox why would you open it and then complain about there being a chatbox?

I do think I would rather not have player information easily available. There’s too much information easily available to begin with.

156. Reply toyoscio Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Not surprised. With the football portion over, there was really nothing to discuss with the other sports, especially NBA and MLB.

157. Reply MARKSHARK4 Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

1ST LETS RID THE REASON OF PEOPLE DIDNT LIKE IT ,THAT WAS THE REASON. YOU HAD THE OPTION TO VIEW IT OR NOT . IS WASNT FORCE FED TO ANYONE. IF IT WAS MOVING FAST & REQUIRED SPEED READING TO KEEP UP @ TIMES THEN OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE MUST OF ENJOYED IT . IT MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN EVERYONES CUP OF TEA,BUT JUST LIKE EANYWHERE YOU GO. . .IF YOU DONT LIKE THE COMPANY YOU ARE FREE TO LEAVE ! AMERICA SO FOR ALL THOSE OUT THERE THAT ARE HAPPY TO SEE IT GONE . WHY DIDNT YOU JUST NOT GO IN IT? SIMPLE QUESTION . . AS FAR AS MISLEADING INFO . . .SURE YOU CAN BUY SWAMP LAND IN FLORIDA IF YOUR THAT GULLABLE & WILLING TO TAKE THE ADVICE FROM SOMEONE TRYIN TO WIN THE VERY MONEY THAT YOUR PLAYIN WITH THAN I CAN SEE WHY YOU DIDNT LIKE SOME OF THE ADVICE .WELL NOW THAT ITS GONE HOPEFULLY FANDUEL CAN DEVOTE THEIR STAFF TO UPDATING THE PLAYERS GAME TIME STATUS WHICH IS WAY MORE MISLEADING THAN CHAT ROOM ADVICE ,DAYS SOMETIMES WEEKS OF OLD,UN-UPDATED PLAYER INFO IS FAR .FAR MORE MISLEADING FROM A SOURCE YOU WOULD THINK VALUED ITS USERS TAKE HEED, PLEASE UPDATE PLAYER INFO

158. Reply chodamus Jan 24, 2014 1:07 am

good call on taking down the site-wide chat! but, that said…chat within contests we are participating in would be killer! git’r dun fd! :)

159. Reply FadedAssGeo Jan 24, 2014 2:34 am

Chat is gone OH NO OH NO!! OHH YEAHH… but chat was chill at times!! it was horrible during Football season… Ima miss it during MLB SEASON THO!!

160. Reply Julian Jan 24, 2014 5:21 am

This.

161. Reply Mr Basketbuns Jan 24, 2014 6:35 am

I will no longer be using Fanduel because of this. It was the only thing that kept me a member.

162. Reply buiznitch Jan 26, 2014 3:23 pm

How about just a message board. Easily monitored and still some interaction.

163. Reply ImMaddog Jan 28, 2014 2:32 am

Yeah chat during MLB will be greatly missed. But like someone mentioned earlier, make a chat room within a league or tournament available after the games have started. Eliminates most of the FREE info that gets passed around.

164. Reply The Frankman Feb 2, 2014 6:43 pm

I would’ve just used a 15-30 second posting limit and auto-ban for post spamming to control stuff. Better ways to save the patient rather than pulling the plug.

165. Reply WHITBOMB69 Feb 3, 2014 2:04 pm

CHAT WAS A GREAT WAY TO CHALLENGE SOMEONE WHO’S NOT ONE OF THESE D*BAGS.. AKA CONDIA, 1URCROR, KCCHEIFSFAN73,
    WHO FEEL ITS NECESSARY TO INVOLVE THEMSELVES IN EVERY TOURNEY, LEAGUE, MATCHUP,
    & THEY SIT & TROLL THE MATCHUPS SCREEN ALL DAY TO GET IN OTHER LINEUPS THE SECOND THEY ARE CREATED, INCLUDING MINE I CREATE
    IS IT ILLEGAL PER THE SITE? NO, BUT ITS TAKES AWAY FROM THE WHOLE “FANDUEL” PURPOSE & EXPERIENCE…
    & IM SURE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE GETTING SICK OF SEEING THESE SAME GUYS IN EVERY GAME…

I THINK SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO ADDRESS THIS…

166. Reply B Dub Feb 5, 2014 12:47 am

Extremely unbelievably lame lame decision.

Chat made fanduel for me.

The weak-willed sisters that mis-rin Fanduel just absoltely caved to the braying demands of a few dozen bungholes that nobody can stand anyway.

Fanduel will lose a lot of money over this decision.

167. Reply 1_srekal Feb 5, 2014 4:58 pm

I think it’s a good move. The main problem was the spreading of info, whether accurate or not. You do your research to stay ahead of everyone else.. But if someone just spreads the info to everyone playing on the site, you lose your advantage. For that reason alone, it makes total sense to remove the site wide chat.

However, chats within tourneys, leagues, h2hs would be cool (after games are started.) That way player info would be useless since no one would be able to change their lineups.

168. Reply Soylent Green Feb 6, 2014 10:42 pm

Glad to see it gone. It in no way enhanced the fantasy sports experience.

169. Reply fanduelchatroomsucked Feb 19, 2014 12:54 am

i find it funny that the comments on the reason the chat room was remove has become a small chat room in itself…. sad….

170. Reply Jesse Mar 9, 2014 8:43 pm

Why not add a chat option to each contest page? At least there could be some chatter about each evenings results as they happen? It could be exciting and something to keep us at the site.

171. Reply lordjim54 Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

You mean they got rid of chat??!!